Research has shown an association between oral disease and other health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, and stroke, respiratory illness in older adults, as well as pre-term and low-birth-weight babies. At Salinas Smiles Family Dentistry, we take pride in helping you maintain a proper oral hygiene routine and we want you to utilize these five steps to encourage good oral health.
- See your dentist regularly -- Regular dental exams and professional cleanings are the best way to prevent problems or to stop small problems from getting worse.
- Keep your mouth clean - Brush your teeth and tongue at least twice a day with a soft-bristle toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste to remove plaque and bacteria that cause cavities and periodontal disease (gum disease).
- Eat, drink, but be wary - Healthy food is good for your general health and your oral health. The nutrients that come from healthy foods help you to fight cavities and gum disease.
- Check your mouth regularly – Look for warning signs of periodontal disease such as red, shiny, puffy, sore or sensitive gums.
- Avoid all tobacco products - Besides ruining your smile, smoking can cause oral cancer, heart disease and a variety of other cancers, all of which can kill you.
If you are concerned about the status of your oral health, please give us a call. To schedule an appointment in our Salinas Smiles, CA office, call Salinas Smiles Family Dentistry at (831) 424-4230.